Re: NetBSD RAID5 options (PCI-e controller?)

        Hello.  I really like raid5 under raidframe.  I've been using it for
almost 10 years.  The parity calculation times are a problem, but on stable
systems, you rarely have to pay that penalty, and I like the ability to
manage the raid sets, i.e. do disk repairs and things on-line, without
having to bring the system down.  In my experience, and things may have
changed since I really looked at the issue, the management tools for
hardware raid cards always required you boot into a special bios, run
Windows, or otherwise get out of NetBSD to get actual management work done.
That, in my view, reduces their advantage, since one of the major selling
points of a raid set is that you can continue running uninterrupted during
disk failures.
The gsoc code looks intreaguing, and I'll be glad to see it pulled into the
project when it's ready.  That will make a great subsystem even better.
-Brian