Re: Noisy ipmi0 after bootup? (really other kernel noise)

    Date:        Thu, 4 Sep 2008 08:52:24 -0700 (PDT)
    From:        Paul Goyette <paul%whooppee.com@localhost>

  | Since your file contains only comments, then I will take a look and see
  | why the messages are getting reported.

Note that the messages I sent are (more or less) boot time messages.
They may be from /etc/rc/* type script execution, but they're
certainly no later than that - they are after init has started I think
(when it gets to that stage of the boot process it isn't always easy
to tell).

  | The actual console messages are created by the scripts in
  | /etc/powerd/scripts directory.  For normal (ie, non-INSTALL) situations
  | you can easily modify them.

Those messages I don't mind at all, they're easy to deal with.
The ones I'm talking about are kernel printfs (or some similar kernel
function, xprintf or whatever).  (That is, they appear on the console
in kernel message colour, rather than white...)

Stuff from logerr is all just fine, and as you say, easy to adjust.

  | I will certainly investigate making the "verbosity" of sysmon_envsys(9)
  | more tailorable as part of a revamp that I'm planning for the post-5.0
  | timeframe.

Great, thanks - but as far as the kernel part of it goes, perhaps just
"absent" (other than for dramatic events) would be better.

  | HeHeHe!  Unionfs is (fortunately) someone else's problem!  :)

Yeah ...  the point wasn't so much unionfs itself, but the general
principle of writing non-panic non-diagnostic messages from the
kernel.   Fatal errors (or anything so close as to be almost
undetectably different), and messages when actually debugging
something (enabled by some sysctl usually these days) are OK.
Anything else (everything else) should be obliterated.   They're
mostly useless anyway, most people these days live inside X, and
the practice of having an xconsole (or xterm -C) seems to have
pretty much vanished - so most console messages just scroll off
some wsconsole screen without ever being observed.

kre