Re: Noisy ipmi0 after bootup? (really other kernel noise)

On Thu, 4 Sep 2008, Robert Elz wrote:

   Date:        Thu, 4 Sep 2008 05:47:27 -0700 (PDT)
   From:        Paul Goyette <paul%whooppee.com@localhost>

 | Hmmm, during sysinst?  I'll have to check into that.  I wouldn't expect
 | to see them during sysinst;  I would only expect them on systems that
 | have actual monitor values being set in the /etc/envsys.cfg file.  If
 | the messages are showing up other cases, that would be a bug.  :)

I'm not getting impi messages, but since I upgraded to a recent -current
(about 5 days old now) I've started seeing what I presume is the ACPI
equivalent ...

        coretemp0: normal state on 'cpu0 temperature'
        acpitz0: normal state on 'temperature'
        acpitz0: normal state on 'temperature'
        coretemp1: normal state on 'cpu1 temperature'

I don't have an /etc/envsys.cfg file, I do seem to have /etc/envsys.conf
but it contains nothing aside from what I assume are comments (# lines).
I certainly have never configured it.

Yeah, that was a typo on my part.  I meant '.conf'.

Since your file contains only comments, then I will take a look and see why the messages are getting reported.

I'd prefer if this kind of noise never appeared on the console at all,
unless it is reporting some kind of emergency situation, if you need to
send it to syslog, I guess that's OK, but the console should really
never report anything that isn't indicating something like "cpu on fire"
or "disc drive 3 just fell out of the tray" - at least, not after the
initial boot attach messages, and even those tend to say way too much
(just telling me the hardware has a driver attached (or not) is all I
need to know, everything else should be available some other way).

The actual console messages are created by the scripts in /etc/powerd/scripts directory. For normal (ie, non-INSTALL) situations you can easily modify them.

I will certainly investigate making the "verbosity" of sysmon_envsys(9) more tailorable as part of a revamp that I'm planning for the post-5.0 timeframe.

I've also noticed the recent kernel now instists on telling me ...

WARNING: the union file system is experimental and may be unstable
WARNING: the union file system is experimental and may be unstable

which comes from (I am assuming)

/usr/pkg/lib/X11/app-defaults /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/app-defaults union rw,hidden
/var/xkb /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xkb union rw,hidden

in /etc/fstab.   I know union sometimes has problems.   I also know that
these 2 mounts never hit any of them.   I don't need the kernel bitching
at me.   If it is necessary to warn somewhere, have mount_union do it,
not the kernel - that way, I can just direct output at /dev/null and
ignore it...

HeHeHe!  Unionfs is (fortunately) someone else's problem!  :)

|   Paul Goyette   | PGP DSS Key fingerprint: |  E-mail addresses:   |
| Customer Service | FA29 0E3B 35AF E8AE 6651 |  paul%whooppee.com@localhost   |
| Network Engineer | 0786 F758 55DE 53BA 7731 | pgoyette%juniper.net@localhost |