Re: src/BUILDING doesn't document installing kernel

On Sat, 8 Mar 2008, Alan Barrett wrote:

> On Fri, 07 Mar 2008, Jeremy C. Reed wrote:
> > src/BUILDING mentions about building kernel and installing, but doesn't
> > show how to install.
>
> There is no canonical way to install the kernel.  Different people have
> different procedures for keeping backups of old kernels.

/usr/src/sys/conf/Makefile.kern.inc has a common way (I show below).

> > The examples (2 & 3) at end show how to install the distribution. It is
> > unclear from the BUILDING document if distribution builds the kernel too.
>
> The documentation for "build" says "Build the entire NetBSD system", and
> the documentation for "distribution" says "install a full distribution";
> but I can't find a definition of the terms "full system" or "entire
> distribution".  Can you suggest better wording?

I adjusted the BUILDING docs to be more clear that it doesn't include
kernel.

> > Following the docs as-is may cause installation of newer system
> > without installing and rebooting with new kernel first.
> >
> > So maybe BUILDING should document how to install kernel.
>
> Yes, the note under "installworld" is probably insufficient.  There
> should probably be a section about how to update the system, with
> examples of a few reasonable ways of doing so.

From Makefile.kern.inc, I adjusted to use KERNOBJDIR and kconf since
BUILDING uses that:

rm -f /onetbsd
ln /netbsd /onetbsd
cp KERNOBJDIR/kconf/netbsd /nnetbsd
mv /nnetbsd /netbsd

From NetBSD Guide: "At the end of its job, build.sh will print out the
location where the new compiled kernel can be found."

mv /netbsd /netbsd.old
mv netbsd /

Or maybe it should be in the EXAMPLES section at end instead.

> > And maybe build.sh should have option to install kernel
> > (installkernel=...).
>
> Sure, if we can figure out what it should do.

  Jeremy C. Reed