Re: src/BUILDING doesn't document installing kernel

On Fri, 07 Mar 2008, Jeremy C. Reed wrote:
> src/BUILDING mentions about building kernel and installing, but doesn't
> show how to install.

There is no canonical way to install the kernel.  Different people have
different procedures for keeping backups of old kernels.

> The examples (2 & 3) at end show how to install the distribution. It is
> unclear from the BUILDING document if distribution builds the kernel too.

The documentation for "build" says "Build the entire NetBSD system", and
the documentation for "distribution" says "install a full distribution";
but I can't find a definition of the terms "full system" or "entire
distribution".  Can you suggest better wording?

> Following the docs as-is may cause installation of newer system
> without installing and rebooting with new kernel first.
>
> So maybe BUILDING should document how to install kernel.

Yes, the note under "installworld" is probably insufficient.  There
should probably be a section about how to update the system, with
examples of a few reasonable ways of doing so.

> And maybe build.sh should have option to install kernel
> (installkernel=...).

Sure, if we can figure out what it should do.

--apb (Alan Barrett)