Port-next68k archive

Re: next68k: current issues

Hello,

> Am 10.02.2023 um 17:22 schrieb Izumi Tsutsui <tsutsui%ceres.dti.ne.jp@localhost>:
>
> Hi,
>
>> Thank you very much for the kernel! I did a quick test and this is my result (all emulated):
>>
>> NeXTcube: works
>> NeXTstation: works
>> NeXTstation Color: works
>> NeXTcube Turbo: bootloader thinks it is non-Turbo (type 8, which is in fact Turbo) and crashes while trying to read bmap address 0x020c0034
>> NeXTstation Turbo: works
>> NeXTstation Turbo Color: kernel tries to access registers, that do not exist on Turbo Color (only on Color): 0x02118180, 0x02118190, 0x02118198 (color video control and memory timings)
>
> Thanks for a quick report!
>
>> The SCSI problem still exists. I suppose the fix for that was not included yet?
>
> I've put updated GENERIC kernel and compiled bootloader:
> http://teokurebsd.org/netbsd/next68k/turbofb/boot_20230210.gz
> http://teokurebsd.org/netbsd/next68k/turbofb/netbsd-GENERIC-turbofb_20230210.gz
>
> - bootloader is built from the latest tree including SCSI INQUIRY fix:
> https://github.com/tsutsui/netbsd-src/commit/77214cbcc5f2d017b94de5307806a72dee3268e9

Great! I can now build a bootable SCSI disk image with this procedure (base.tgz contains base NetBSD installation):
#disklabel -i /dev/sd0c
 > 4.2BSD
 > 2c, 0s, 0M
 > $
#newfs /dev/rsd0a
#installboot -v /dev/rsd0c /usr/mdec/boot
#mount /dev/sd0a /mnt
#cd /mnt
#tar xvfz /sets/base.tgz
#cp /netbsd /mnt
#cp /dev/MAKEDEV /mnt/dev
#cp /dev/MAKEDEV.local /mnt/dev

It seems to work quite well when booted from SCSI. No problems so far.

> - NeXT_CUBE_TURBO machine type is added:
> https://github.com/tsutsui/netbsd-src/commit/fe8fb94d9c8a54b64655f14c80078fd5b2e68721
> -> This should fix a crash in bootloader here:
> https://github.com/tsutsui/netbsd-src/blob/55cf837292998ff8371098e3deae169c619d7d8c/sys/arch/next68k/stand/boot/en.c#L141

The Turbo Cube is no correctly seen as turbo type, but after loading the bootloader it just stops. It seems to not hand control over to the kernel. NeXT ROM Monitor is still visible and no network activity or other noticeable activity. Also no bus errors or similar. At the moment I have no idea where it hangs. NeXTstation Turbo (monochrome) still works.

> - Workaround for Turbo Color video (skip NEXT_P_C16_CMD_REG accesses)
> https://github.com/tsutsui/netbsd-src/commit/55cf837292998ff8371098e3deae169c619d7d8c
>
> I cannot find which code touches 0x02118190 (NEXT_P_DRAM_TIMING)
> and 0x02118198 (NEXT_P_VRAM_TIMING) in NetBSD/next68k kernel sources.
> Could you check which PC address that tries to access them?

Sorry! I was wrong about 0x02118190 and 0x02118198. But there seems to be another access to 0x02118180. I still get a bus error from that address at PC 0x0000f19a.

> Thanks,
> ---
> Izumi Tsutsui

We’re coming closer! Thanks again!