Port-m68k archive

Re: A few issues while playing with virt68k

john%klos.com@localhost (John Klos) writes:

>      -I    If a label cannot be read from disk request the default one from
>            the kernel.  Implies -r.

My method to write a disklabel from the host system is:

$rdbedit -F -t "$image" \
| disklabel -w -F -f /dev/fd/0 "$image" hardfile "$product"

$rdbedit dumps a disktab(4) stanza (named 'hardfile') and
disklabel -f /dev/fd/0 reads that stanza from stdin.

The example generates a label for the host. If you need a label
for the target, you need to pass things like machine type,
endianess or the exact label sector number.

>> 	-append ?root=ld0a?

>> On my qemu command line and it boots right up without prompting:

>Right now I'm using GPT wedges, so I'll give it another try with
>disklabel. Perhaps a properly disklabeled disk will boot automatically.

This is yet another ad-hoc method to specify the boot device.

- strip non-digits from the end
- match remaining prefix against a device name.

You can use something like 'dk1', but for the volatile dk unit numbers
it's of limited use.

MD code _could_ just set the variable "bootspec" from the command line
argument and MI code would do the right thing. evbarm code does that
(after trying to identify a device itself).