Port-m68k archive

A few issues while playing with virt68k

Hi,

I'm looking forward to making more use of virt68k, so I figured I'd give it a try. A quick test showed it was easy to get going, even though there are issues with dealing with big endian disklabels on little endian machines (disklabel -I -i -B be vnd0 gives disklabel: changing le byteorder to be, disklabel: could not read existing label).

However, when I wanted to set up multiple disks, there were issues. I realized that disklabels don't work:

disklabel -I -i ld0
(change some things)...
partition>W
Label disk [n]?y
disklabel: ioctl DIOCWDINFO: No disk label on disk;
use "disklabel -I" to install initial label
Label not written

Making disk images, disklabels and filesystems on a big endian machine, then bringing them over, shows that disklabels aren't working:

virt68k# disklabel /dev/ld0
3 partitions:
#        size    offset     fstype [fsize bsize cpg/sgs]
 a:  41943040         0     4.2BSD      0     0     0  # (Cyl.      0 -  41610*)
 c:  41943040         0     4.2BSD      0     0     0  # (Cyl.      0 -  41610*)
disklabel: boot block size 0
disklabel: super block size 0
disklabel: partitions a and c overlap

virt68k# disklabel -I -i /dev/ld0
Enter '?' for help
partition>P
3 partitions:
#        size    offset     fstype [fsize bsize cpg/sgs]
 a:  37748736         0     4.2BSD      0     0     0  # (Cyl.      0 -  18431)
 b:   4194304  37748736       swap                     # (Cyl.  18432 -  20479)
 c:  41943040         0     unused      0     0        # (Cyl.      0 -  20479)
partition>

GENERIC also doesn't have wedge support, so I compiled a kernel with wedge support. But I'm curious - if a kernel doesn't have wedge support, and if disklabels don't work (not sure why), then how would one have anything but a single slice per volume?

Unlike riscv64 in qemu (the only other qemu NetBSD guest I've played with much), the kernel asks for the root and dump devices, in spite of qemu being run with -append "root=dk1". How does one get it to auto boot?

Thanks!
John