Re: advice needed

* On 2024-05-02 at 15:55 BST, Steve Blinkhorn wrote:

/usr/pkg/pkgdb/glib2-2.78.1nb1 was empty save for a .core file, which
I deleted.

Oh, that's a shame, that was the smoking gun.

Certainly there should never be files inside pkgdb that weren't created by pkg_install. I think what likely happened is that, as the directory wasn't empty, pkg_install was unable remove it, and you probably ended up in a position where you can't install a newer glib2 because there is a conflicting directory entry.

Basically this is pkgdb corruption.

Have a look at /var/db/pkgin/pkg_install-err.log (or wherever your OS puts it) to see if there are any further clues.

Given the rest of the package metadata has been deleted you may as well remove /usr/pkg/pkgdb/glib2-2.78.1nb1 completely and then try "pkgin upgrade" again.

How to get this installed with least disruption?  I am new to pkgin,
though not to pkgsrc.

pkgin simply uses the underlying pkg_install tooling, so you would see the same failures had you used pkg_add, etc.

--
Jonathan Perkin   -   mnx.io   -   pkgsrc.smartos.org
Open Source Complete Cloud   www.tritondatacenter.com