Re: advice needed

steve%prd.co.uk@localhost (Steve Blinkhorn) writes:

> NetBSD-9.2 amd64
> I thought I needed to upgrade ghostscript, so did
>
> #pkgin install ghostscript
>
> and was told 140 packages needed attention.  So I set the process off
> and went for lunch.  Just 1 error was reported but with significat
> consequences.
>
> How to get this installed with least disruption?  I am new to pkgin,
> though not to pkgsrc.

My advice is:

  run pkg_admin rebuild and rebuild-tree first

  run pkgin up to get a fresh summary

  pkgin sk to see what is manually installed

  sudo pkgin uk to remove things you don't actually want

  sudo pkgin ar to remove automatic things that aren't required

  run `pkgin ug` as your first modify/install, and see what it tells you
  is missing and think hard before proceeding.

  only with up-to-date packages consider installing

> /usr/pkg/pkgdb/glib2-2.78.1nb1 was empty save for a .core file, which
> I deleted.  This module seems to be critical, so for instance I no
> longer have a working firefox.

check for a different version of glib2, clean up the dir, and pkgin in
glib2.