Re: Please forgive a blatant plug: I reviewed v10 for the Reg

On Thu, 18 Apr 2024, Taylor R Campbell wrote:

Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2024 15:53:27 +0000
From: Taylor R Campbell <riastradh%NetBSD.org@localhost>
To: adr <adr%sdf.org@localhost>
Cc: netbsd-users%NetBSD.org@localhost, Liam Proven <lproven%gmail.com@localhost>
Subject: Re: Please forgive a blatant plug: I reviewed v10 for the Reg

Hi adr,

Liam provided valuable feedback in both reviews, and if anything we
haven't put enough effort into smoothing out the rough edges Liam
pointed out, like figuring out why command-line editing and PATH
weren't set up right out of the box.  There's always room for
improvement, and our documentation is sometimes hard to follow,
missing parts, or too wordy in places.

This feedback helps us to improve the out-of-the-box experience for
users, fix unnecessarily confusing parts of the experience, and
identify where the documentation is lacking or hard to find.

Gatekeeping NetBSD on the basis of prior expertise is not good for the
community, and not good for the project.  sysinst is supposed to be a
tool to help you, not a test of your patience or knowledge.

We would appreciate it if you toned down your criticism of a new user
and their honest feedback about the experience so we as a community
don't discourage other users and further feedback as we continue to
improve NetBSD.

Thanks,
-Riastradh, NetBSD core team

This person wasn't talking only about the problems that someone
could have installing netbsd. There are problems. If you read the
review that he or she did to the las version of netbsd, you'll find
that the majority of the problems were a result of this person don't
bothering to read the documentation, and ignorance of basic unix.

All of us are here in this world to learn.

The problem is when you start making affirmations based on that
ignorance missleading people an creating a bad image of the project.

This person didn't say "I don't know what is happening with the
shell when you install netbsd". This person said "netbsd doesn't
support cursor keys". Just one example among so many. You should
read some commentaries of surprised readers in that article.

If that's ok with you, and with what this king of thing does to
the image of the netbsd project among unix-like operating system
users, and you want to encourage that, I will respect it because
you are part of the core team and this is not my house.

Next time I'll ignore it.

Regards.

adr.