Re: unattended install

> Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2024 15:12:21 +0200
> From: "Enrico Weigelt, metux IT consult" <info%metux.net@localhost>
>
> is there any way of unattended installation (eg. from the ISO) ?
>
> Rationale: I need to create VM images by a build pipeline (on kvm).

If there isn't an image that already serves your needs, the
distrib/utils/embedded/mkimage script is how we would approach this on
systems where the goal isn't partly to test interactive installation
with sysinst:

https://nxr.netbsd.org/xref/src/distrib/utils/embedded/mkimage?r=1.82

Currently we make Arm, RISC-V, and some other images this way, with
config files under distrib/utils/embedded/conf/, like this one:

https://nxr.netbsd.org/xref/src/distrib/utils/embedded/conf/arm64.conf?r=1.16
https://nxr.netbsd.org/xref/src/distrib/utils/embedded/conf/evbarm.conf?r=1.42

Here's how we invoke it in the build (${.TARGET} in this rule will be
something like `smp_arm64' for arm64.img):

https://nxr.netbsd.org/xref/src/etc/etc.evbarm/Makefile.inc?r=1.131#80

There are also amd64 and i386 config files, not currently used in the
NetBSD release build -- the x86 live images are built another way, but
you can use mkimage for x86 VM images using amd64.conf or i386.conf.

The mkimage script doesn't have to run under NetBSD -- you can run it
on another system using NetBSD's cross-build toolchain built with
`build.sh tools'.