Re: Please forgive a blatant plug: I reviewed v10 for the Reg

Hi Liam.

Liam Proven wrote:
I thought this might interest folks here...

Nice share and thanks for taking the time to write it.

NetBSD 10 proves old tech can still kick apps and take names three decades later

Proper old-school Unix, not like those lazy, decadent Linux types

https://www.theregister.com/2024/04/17/30yo_netbsd_releases_v10/

Comments and feedback welcomed!

I mostly agree with the article, the citations, it gives the mood back. Then it shares some personal opinions about experience.

Some considerations:

* About "size" and "performance". NetBSD runs well on a lot of software, in my experience the core OS is very comparable to OpenBSD, but a litte bit easier since it doesn't have the relink stuff, and base Linux. However recent linux with systemd are definitely worse. However still there is "imported userland" and then "pkgsrc". Except for raw speed in system calls, kernel management, if you install package X it will about be similar in size on different operating systems. So for sure since XFCE has gotten fatty, you get the same fat on NetBSD. Same goes for  GCC which gets fatter and slower with each release :) Of course, new features are added. You start to see the size of packages installed more than the OS itself

* installation experience. I like the menu-driven installer, it has the classic semi-GUI with windows and arrows, but still very usable on a serial console (handy if you install on a server!). The rough edges in my opinion are in the partitioning. I am myself bitten right now by an upgrade on a "standard x86-64 laptop". Resizing partitions, selecting, labels... that part. Of course it is complicated by all the many differences in BIOS, UEFI... OpenFirmware on mac, etc etc However, when things go smooth, e.g. on a classic BIOS-based PC where you take over the whole disk, it is very fine and convenient.

Riccardo