Re: RFC: remove xsrc/xfree

On Wed, 22 Apr 2015 09:54:06 -0400
Michael <macallan%netbsd.org@localhost> wrote:

> I suspect that's about older models with TurboChannel and/or weird
> alignment restrictions. IIRC at least some, more modern Alphas already
> run Xorg.

I've wondered many times why we don't ship X11 for PCI-based alphas.
The changes needed to upstream code are fairly minor, from faint
memory it's just some inb/outb and BWX related ifdefs.
I do have the hardware to test it (both ev5 and ev6 systems) but I'm
not really that interested in native X11. I could resurrect the support
in pkgsrc and put the necessary patches in gnats, but someone else more
familiar with native X11 build stuff will have to handle that part.

(I think I in fact also have a TurboChannel based system somewhere in
the storage room but if we have to decide between shipping a server for
PCI or TC the answer of what the default should be is obvious.)

-Tobias