re: RFC: remove xsrc/xfree

Tobias Nygren writes:

> > I suspect that's about older models with TurboChannel and/or weird
> > alignment restrictions. IIRC at least some, more modern Alphas already
> > run Xorg.
>
> I've wondered many times why we don't ship X11 for PCI-based alphas.
> The changes needed to upstream code are fairly minor, from faint
> memory it's just some inb/outb and BWX related ifdefs.
> I do have the hardware to test it (both ev5 and ev6 systems) but I'm
> not really that interested in native X11. I could resurrect the support
> in pkgsrc and put the necessary patches in gnats, but someone else more
> familiar with native X11 build stuff will have to handle that part.
>
> (I think I in fact also have a TurboChannel based system somewhere in
> the storage room but if we have to decide between shipping a server for
> PCI or TC the answer of what the default should be is obvious.)

it's been a while since i tried, but Xorg works just fine for alpha,
including the tga driver.  i also thought it worked with the older
xfree tree, it certainly includes a tga driver:

	xfree/xc/programs/Xserver/hw/xfree86/drivers/tga/

ie, i don't think there is any particular hardware support missing
currently (perhaps if you try to use non-DEC pci graphics cards?)

.mrg.