Re: Beyond twm

Well, since the idea was to replace a very dated setup with one that is less dated, I assumed that a modest improvement would suffice.  I was planning something fairly simple.  If it's going to be the default, I suspect that it should be quite conservative.  I had planned to extricate multiple desktops and Xinerama in the interest of simplicity.  I use Xrandr to set up multiple monitors and haven't used multiple desktops for some time.  <full disclosure>I use a heavily modified, personal version of twm implementing a stack (ring really) of applications that I can run without the mouse.</full disclosure>
Having said this, if a broadly featured desktop is what the project is after, then that can also be explored.  The main thing is to make an improvement to what is now the standard.
Golem is also rather dated by bleeding edge standards.  The configuration setup is brittle.  It can be configured by a diligent hacker but it's less easy than other window managers.  The principal advantage seems to be that it's BSD code.
What filtered up over the day is that lua is now shipping in the standard install and the thing might be to set up a golem implementation that configures with lua.

Phil Rulon

On Mon, Feb 16, 2015 at 8:44 PM, matthew green <mrg%eterna.com.au@localhost> wrote:

> It's not obvious to me why there needs to be a more complex window
> manager in base.  twm works, but isn't fancy or pretty.  There are many
> options in pkgsrc.   I realize pkgsrc is often not cross built, and base
> is, but perhaps the same effort would be better spent on making binary
> packages better or crossbuilding pkgsrc.
>
> But, if that's what you want to hack on, don't let me discourage you -
> everybody likes to do different things, and that's part of what's good
> about open source.

for a start, twm doesn't handle multiple desktops.  it doesn't handle
some of the really-old-now "newer" extensions like Xinerama.  and
sometimes has problems interacting with newer programs i'm told has to
do with other unhandled protocol features (but i haven't investigated
these personally.)

Phillip,

we (the project) really want to provide something besides twm as the
default.  and as far as i'm aware, no one has really been looking at
it... so it would be great if you did.

thanks.

.mrg.