Re: Radeondrm w/RV370 / X300 SE on 7.0_BETA -- working?

>>>The motherboard in question is an ASUS P5K-VM, i.e. it has
>>>integrated Intel graphics.  So I pulled the pci-e Radeon card
>>>(for intended use in another machine) to see if I could have some
>>>better luck with the Intel graphics.  However, no such luck.
>>>During autoconfig it printed
>>>
>>>i915drmkms0 at pci0 ... Intel 82965G ...
>>>DRM error in i915_gmc_probe: failed to set up gmch
>>
>> I think this probably was i915_gmch_probe().
>
>Could be, this was copy+paste via paper...
>
>I'll re-update to see if I pick up any significant changes, but
>chances are that I won't...

There is only one place that generates this error message, I wouldn't
worry about the function name.

>>>followed immediately by an uvm_fault.
>>
>> Have you enabled shared graphics memory in the BIOS after
>> pulling the radeon card?
>
>I've not messed with the BIOS settings either before inserting
>the Radeon card or after pulling it.  Isn't this all automatic?

I think it is worth checking the BIOS settings.

The panic is from the code that is setting up the shared memory
stuff.

>>So ... now I'm back to running the GENERIC kernel, and therefore
>>unable to run X11.
>
> You should be able to get X11 to work using the GENERIC kernel
> with the radeon card.

>Really?  Hm, wasn't that what I started with, which also caused a
>kernel panic?  Anyway, I'll put it on the list of things I should
>test or re-test.

Looking back, that was where you started. I'm typing this on a machine
running X11 on -current with a radeon card of the same generation as
your one, there haven't been any changes to the old drm driver for a
fairly long time.

Can you try booting the machine without the RAID controller ?

>It's possible I'll also re-install the system using netbsd-6
>code, to see if twa(4) has any better chance of working on that
>version.

I think there were some locking changes made by riastradh@ to the new
radeon drm driver after Sep 17, is there a newer kernel you can try ?