Re: Migrating ports from XFree86 to Xorg (Was: Changing default X11_TYPE from native to modular for some platforms)

Hello,

On Tue, 27 Sep 2011 17:27:53 +0200
Frank Wille <frank%phoenix.owl.de@localhost> wrote:

> > I understand that wsfb X11 driver should work on top of _any_
> > wsdisplay driver that does provide memory mapped mode.
>
> You're absolutely right. I didn't know that it can switch to mapped mode
> with SMODE. That's great!

All that does is to let the driver know that you ( or in this case, the Xserver
) want to map the framebuffer so it can do stuff like making sure the blitter
is idle, the video mode matches whatever the driver claims in WSDISPLAYIO_GINFO
and the like, not run any drawing ops until it's back in WSDISPLAYIO_MODE_EMUL
etc.
Most drivers will also watch for ioctl(WSDISPLAYIO_SMODE,
WSDISPLAYIO_MODE_EMUL) to re-initialize the blitter, colour map, maybe switch
back to 8 bit - whatever is needed to clean up after X and get the console back
into working order.

have fun
Michael