Re: Migrating ports from XFree86 to Xorg (Was: Changing default X11_TYPE from native to modular for some platforms)

On Mon, 26 Sep 2011 09:00:06 +0200
Ignatios Souvatzis <ignatios%cs.uni-bonn.de@localhost> wrote:

> > Ok. So we should just modify the existing grf-drivers to attach a
> > wsdisplay when NWSDISPLAY > 0, for example, and don't do ite-
> > initialization in this case? I will check that.
>
> This looks like the way to go.

To go a little bit more into detail (after some more source analyzation),
we should add pointers to wsdisplay_accessops, wsdisplay_emulops and
maybe even wsscreen_descr to grf_softc, which can be initialized by the
underlying grfxx driver. So the grf device can easily attach a wsdisplay
using this information. I would also like to add support for vcons there.

We probably don't have to care about the fonts, as this is already done
by the grfxx driver?

When disabling ite in the config file the corresponding ite_xx.c files
should no longer be compiled and pulled into the kernel. Hope that works.

The new wsdisplay-emulops and -accessops code should probably go directly
into grf_xx.c (enclosed by NWSDISPLAY>0).

I don't see how we can use wsfb, though. The genfb driver does not support
the graphics card's text mode, which we need for acceptable performance
on such slow hardware. Or am I missing something? So we still have the
problem to make new Xorg drivers.

> I really should update the DraCo to a point that I can at least test
> the Retina-on-DraCo-local-bus with it - this will also verify Retina.

Retina tests would be very helpful. Radoslaw and me only have CV64 (grfcv),
CV643D (grfcv3d), Merlin (grfet) and Picasso IV (grfcl) boards for testing.

We will do the development on a private branch and will inform you about
the final modifications before committing anything.

--
Frank Wille