Any decent XKB documentation?

On Fri, 1 Apr 2011, der Mouse wrote:

(I've so far never found decent documentation on xkb, though admittedly I never tried all that hard, [...] )

I haven't either. But for there to be decent documentation (or documentation at all) there has to be someone who understands the subject; and for XKB I'm not sure that such a mythical creature could even exist.

I've been wrong before though. Does anyone here know of anything decent, that goes a bit, or a lot, deeper than the usual "dead keys HOWTO"-style stuff?

Ideally, I'd like to know enough to be able to delete everything XKB related from my system and write a keymap definition completely from scratch; and/or doing stuff that "nobody" needs to do, like changing in which way Caps Lock or Num Lock affects what group of keys, etc.

MAgnus