Re: no keyboard input visible with xsrc X11 on i386 -current?

On Tue, 29 Mar 2011, Kevin Lahey wrote:

The xkb complaints seem like an obvious cause for problems, but it
isn't clear to me how to fix it, or, given the xev(1) output, that this
is the issue.

(I'm no expert, but I've poked around trying to understand X's keyboard handling a bit, so here are some thoughts.)

Seeing key events in xev doesn't rule out keymap problems; as far as I understand, xev hooks in pretty early but most other things don't, and rely on keypresses being translated to keysyms. ("a", "1", "ampersand", "Shift_L", ...)

Does the output of xev say "keysym 0x0, NoSymbol" for all keys?

I wonder if you could add mappings via xmodmap after X has started... (and what xmodmap -pk says, for that matter)

MAgnus