Re: After update, !X. Reinstalled backup: still !X. Argh!

On Tue, Oct 26, 2010 at 11:29:56AM +0300, Antti Kantee wrote:
> On Mon Oct 25 2010 at 18:48:12 -0400, Martin S. Weber wrote:
> > What hell have I maneuvered myself into?
> >
> > I have updated from NetBSD 5.1RC2 and pkgsrc modular-xorg-server
> > (and actually all of my pkgsrc packages) from pkgsrc-2010Q2 to
> > NetBSD 5.1RC4 and recent pkgsrc off the 2010Q3 branch.
>
> >From your description it doesn't really sound like pkg/43493, but maybe
> you want to make extra-sure you're not having those problems in case
> you run out of ideas.

Well, I've went back to 5.1RC2 (kernel, userland) and back to
my (backed up) packages from pkgsrc-2010Q2, a combination
previously working. That's in contrast to pkg/43493, where
going back makes things work again. It doesn't for me.
I'll try some more things today though.

> > After the update, X won't start. It seems the BusID addressing
> > scheme changed, so I updated the BusIDs. Now X will only give me
> > a black screen, the computer eventually starts beeping, and I can't
> > switch vts (never could though, this is with the nv driver).
>
> I've always been able to switch vt's with nv X driver.

I've never. I figured that's par for the nv course. Seems I'm wrong
about that, too.

Note that the busids are the same - just the syntax is different
(PCI:2:0:0 vs. PCI:2@2:0:0 or so, the X.log's are linked from the