Re: Dualview with Geforce 7300 TS -- is it possible?

                        Hi,

On Sun, 08 Mar 2009 13:03:59 +0100, Thomas Klausner wrote:

> On Sun, Mar 08, 2009 at 09:23:35AM +1100, matthew green wrote:
>> my experience with xf86-video-nv in dual head mode is not so great.

I tested a dual 1280x1024 setup with nv, but the left screen turns black
a few seconds this and there at random, or sometimes depending on the
cursor's position. It's not usable (Quadro FX370).

>> it clearly *can* work, because i had that setup working fine with linux
>> and the binary "nvidia" driver.  my attempts at hacking Xorg and the
>> xf86-video-nv sources haven't been fruitful yet.

It looks as though this driver is not really maintained anymore. Maybe
I'll report my bug anyway...

> Does anyone have information how it is with other graphic cards, e.g.
> ATI ones?

I also have a laptop with a RadeonHD (mobility X1400) and dual head works
fine (with the xf86-video-radeonhd driver).

Regarding NVidia cards, you might have better luck trying the nouveau
driver (xf86-video-nouveau). It's currently quite painful to install on
NetBSD though, as you'll need newer versions of Mesa and xorg-server than
available in pkgsrc. I'm currently using it with Mesa 7.4 and xorg-server
1.5.3, and dual head works better than with nv: I have a minor corruption
on window borders with WindowMaker, but that might come from running as a
Xen DOM0.

If you want to try again, don't forget to define "Virtual" in the
relevant "Display" sub-section of the "Screen" section. I need this for
instance:

        SubSection "Display"
                Viewport   0 0
                Depth     24
                Virtual 2560 1024
        EndSubSection

as I have two 1280x1024 LCDs. You can then identify your two outputs
using "xrandr -q", and then typically go for:
$ xrandr --output DVI-3 --right-of DVI-1

HTH,
--
khorben