Re: X11 per machine_arch not per port (Was: Moving ports across to X11R7)

Hello,

On Feb 8, 2009, at 12:28 PM, David Brownlee wrote:

> On Sun, 8 Feb 2009, Quentin Garnier wrote:
>
>> I think we can leave the xserver set per-port.  It's not just the way
>> it access the hardware, it's also the set of drivers.
>
>       I think there should be three types of X drivers
>         a) Plain framebuffer (should be supported by a shared Xwsfb)

We already have that - X with wsfb.

>       Taking a look at http://www.netbsd.org/ports/#ports-by-cpu
>       NetBSD runs on 60 different ports and 15 different
>       machine_arches. Does it really make sense to build 11
>       different powerpc and m68k X server sets?

Yes, sort of. The powerpc sets differ mostly in which drivers they
include ( and IO space access of course ). On the other hand, having a
few more drivers in one big, shared set wouldn't hurt.

>       There is the downside of the Xserver sets being slightly
>       larger, but really we should be looking at sharing the
>       entire userland on a machine_arch basis. We should at least
>       be able to deal with xetc, xcomp, and xserver...

The only one what's not shareable right now is xserver.tgz
We might be able to use a single xfont.tgz for all archs with the same
endianness and word size ( not sure if the latter is really relevant )

have fun
Michael

[demime 1.01d removed an attachment of type application/pgp-signature which had
a name of PGP.sig]