Re: X11 per machine_arch not per port (Was: Moving ports across to X11R7)

On Sun, 8 Feb 2009, Quentin Garnier wrote:

I think we can leave the xserver set per-port.  It's not just the way
it access the hardware, it's also the set of drivers.

        I think there should be three types of X drivers
          a) Plain framebuffer (should be supported by a shared Xwsfb)
          b) Xfree86 supported PCI/AGP cards (should shared drivers)
          c) port specific drivers

        c) should really only include bizarre hardware which cannot
        be driven by a) and accelerated drivers. In quite a few
        cases the chipset would be supported by b) anyway.

        Taking a look at http://www.netbsd.org/ports/#ports-by-cpu
        NetBSD runs on 60 different ports and 15 different
        machine_arches. Does it really make sense to build 11
        different powerpc and m68k X server sets?

        There is the downside of the Xserver sets being slightly
        larger, but really we should be looking at sharing the
        entire userland on a machine_arch basis. We should at least
        be able to deal with xetc, xcomp, and xserver...