Re: x11r7 with old packages

On Sat, Feb 07, 2009 at 01:34:15PM +0000, Iain Hibbert wrote:
> On Thu, 5 Feb 2009, Iain Hibbert wrote:
>
> > On Wed, 4 Feb 2009, Iain Hibbert wrote:
> >
> > > with my new i386-5.0rc1 & X11R7 install
> > >
> > > I installed a bunch of packages that were built for 4.99.73 around
> > > september time IIRC but am having trouble with fonts and libraries
> > >
> > > Obviously, the packages were built to use X11R6 which doesn't exist. The
> > > libraries that are not found seem to be present just in a different path
> > > and the system should know where to find them I guess.
> > >
> > > I've copied over the X11R6 dir & contents from my old machine and that
> > > enables most programs to work at least - icewm displays text, firefox
> > > displays text but gthumb, evince and gimp only show boxes. perhaps its
> > > gtk?
> > >
> > > I'm going to build packages anew with the new system over the next few
> > > days which I anticipate will of course fix it, but I'm wondering if it
> > > ought to have worked anyway?
> > [...]
> > ERROR: bin/xtide: missing library: libXmu.so.6
> > ERROR: bin/xtide: missing library: libXext.so.6
> > *** Error code 1
> >
> > Stop.
> >
> > anybody got a cluebat?
>
> It turns out this is not a general problem, only for misc/xtide which I
> have no immediate use for (the other failures were related to other broken
> things since fixed) and the original problem is indeed fixed by the
> package rebuild.

I have a fix for xtide.  While it wouldn't necessarily help the problem
in xtide, I've been wondering how many packages somehow hardcode a
limited list of paths for a X11 installation, including X11R6.  If there
is a significant number of them (but I suspect there aren't, otherwise
there would have been more complaints), maybe we could use pkgsrc to
transform paths from /usr/X11R6 to ${X11BASE} in some situations.  But
I'll fix xtide anyway.

--
Quentin Garnier - cube%cubidou.net@localhost - cube%NetBSD.org@localhost