Re: x11r7 with old packages

On Thu, 5 Feb 2009, Iain Hibbert wrote:

> On Wed, 4 Feb 2009, Iain Hibbert wrote:
>
> > with my new i386-5.0rc1 & X11R7 install
> >
> > I installed a bunch of packages that were built for 4.99.73 around
> > september time IIRC but am having trouble with fonts and libraries
> >
> > Obviously, the packages were built to use X11R6 which doesn't exist. The
> > libraries that are not found seem to be present just in a different path
> > and the system should know where to find them I guess.
> >
> > I've copied over the X11R6 dir & contents from my old machine and that
> > enables most programs to work at least - icewm displays text, firefox
> > displays text but gthumb, evince and gimp only show boxes. perhaps its
> > gtk?
> >
> > I'm going to build packages anew with the new system over the next few
> > days which I anticipate will of course fix it, but I'm wondering if it
> > ought to have worked anyway?
> [...]
> ERROR: bin/xtide: missing library: libXmu.so.6
> ERROR: bin/xtide: missing library: libXext.so.6
> *** Error code 1
>
> Stop.
>
> anybody got a cluebat?

It turns out this is not a general problem, only for misc/xtide which I
have no immediate use for (the other failures were related to other broken
things since fixed) and the original problem is indeed fixed by the
package rebuild.

The question still stands though - are packages built under an earlier
version of X supposed to still work after X.org migration?

iain