Re: cross builds of pkgsrc X for all NetBSD ports that supported X? and set date when to switchover to pkgsrc X

On Thu, 7 Feb 2008 08:31:19 -0600 (CST)
"Jeremy C. Reed" <reed%reedmedia.net@localhost> wrote:

> Has anyone setup or done cross-compiling of pkgsrc's modular X for all of
> NetBSD's ports that currently support native X?
>
> We should set a date (like July 2008) or pkgsrc quarter (2008Q2) or NetBSD
> version (4.1 or 5.0) for when we make X11_TYPE=modular become the default.
>
> Or maybe this can be done on a port-by-port basis.
>
> The xsrc can still be available for those who need it -- until pkgsrc
> completely replaces it.
>
> By setting a date and switching to X11_TYPE=modular, many (maybe most)
> of NetBSD X end-users will get more packages and some better driver
> support -- and momentum and pressure will be on those needing to get code
> specific from NetBSD xsrc to upstream and pkgsrc.
>
> I will help do bug reports upstream and also commit code upstream if you
> point me to the code and explain it.
>
> Note that I already posted one list of every "xorg" change we had in
> NetBSD source but I didn't get much feedback:
> http://mail-index.netbsd.org/tech-x11/2007/11/09/0000.html
>
> I also tried (maybe a couple years ago) to compare "monolithic" X.org, and
> official XFree86, with our xsrc to find our customizations, but the diffs
> were overwhelming :)

I would very much like to see modular X.org as the default for
NetBSD 5.0, possibly also 4.1 depending on when releng decides it's time
to push out 5.0. Note that sparc64 and alpha native builds have already
been fixed, there is a PR with the required patches. Don't know what the
cross-compile status is for those ports, however.