Re: colorls in base

On Fri, Feb 15, 2019 at 10:51:05AM -0800, Alistair Crooks wrote:
> > Actually, colorized texts do things worse for me, because by highlingting
> > some thing it prevents me from seeing other important things.
> >

> Of course, but sane highlighting of things, rather than explosions in a
> paint factory like some syntax coloring schemes I've seen in editors, is

The problem is, "sane highlighting" actually depends on what't your looking
for in a file; just defining it by file type doesn't work so well.

When you're looking at a C program you're not looking at only variables, or
only strings. You need to read all characters of it.
All in all, I find a monochrome text (with a single font too) much easier to
read.

> the goal. In that way, your eyes are drawn to things that matter. In the
> colored ls script I posted, normal, everyday regular files are left
> untouched by colouring. Anything executable is in red (none of that
> straining to see a '*' on the end)

and then, it will make things worse if I'm looking for a file which is not
executable.

> > The point is that the warning lights are usually off.
> >
> > Indeed. And if you're not alarmed when they're on, that's a problem.

I am and that's the goal. But if there were bright red lights
showing up every now and then, I wouldn't notice the alarms any more.