Re: Moving telnet/telnetd from base to pkgsrc

On Sat, Dec 15, 2018 at 10:08:00PM +0000, Taylor R Campbell wrote:

> Given that a large fraction of respondents (though not all) indicated
> that their primary use of telnet is to test reachability of a server
> or manually enter SMTP or HTTP requests over the internet -- a use
> which is adequately served by the much smaller and much more
> confidence-inspiring usr.bin/nc -- I think this _does_ constitute a
> serious danger that warrants the scrutiny it is getting.

Apple removed it from OS X and it's a big pain in the ass.  I'd suggest
fix it (going at it with a big torch if necessary to remove likely dead
and likely dangerous code -- many/most of the options, even things like
linemode) and keep it.

I'd be glad to help.

I see far less reason to keep the daemon than the client.  But walking
up to a purportedly Unix system and finding that I don't have "telnet"
for quick TCP connection testing and have to use nc with all its weird
options that are inconsistent from version to version and annoying
behaviours like refusal to transmit ^C is, to me, even more repellent
than encountering color ls.

Thor