Re: Moving telnet/telnetd from base to pkgsrc

On Sun, Dec 16, 2018 at 04:24:54PM +0000, maya%netbsd.org@localhost wrote:
 > > > Given that a large fraction of respondents (though not all) indicated
 > > > that their primary use of telnet is to test reachability of a server
 > > > or manually enter SMTP or HTTP requests over the internet -- a use
 > > > which is adequately served by the much smaller and much more
 > > > confidence-inspiring usr.bin/nc -- I think this _does_ constitute a
 > > > serious danger that warrants the scrutiny it is getting.
 > >
 > > If somebody knows the details of such a bug and wants to fix it, that
 > > seems uncontroversial.  But we don't seem to be talking about that.
 >
 > https://mail-index.netbsd.org/source-changes/2018/12/12/msg101400.html
 > It being so trivial is embarrassing and a sign someone should have long
 > ago stepped in and made sense of the code.

Nobody is going to step in and make sense of the code, because the
code is beyond such measures. Cthulhu ph'tagn.

If we really need a telnet client in base -- it seems to me that most
of the arguments in this thread are blowing smoke, but whatever -- we
need to write a new one.

--
David A. Holland
dholland%netbsd.org@localhost