Re: Specifying root device in /etc/fstab

On Tue, Oct 02, 2018 at 11:05:56PM +0700, Robert Elz wrote:
>     Date:        Tue, 2 Oct 2018 11:28:59 -0000 (UTC)
>     From:        mlelstv%serpens.de@localhost (Michael van Elst)
>
>   | Can you please check, you are misquoting, reversing the sense what I wrote.
>
> This is what Jared said in the original message...
>
> 	I came up with this simple patch to getfsspecname that allows ROOT=<part>
> 	syntax for fs_spec. It uses the value of the kern.root_device sysctl to
> 	construct a device path, so my fstab can have entries like this:
>
> 	   ROOT=a          /               ffs     rw,noatime      1 1
> 	   ROOT=b          none            swap    sw      0 0
> 	   ROOT=e          /boot           msdos   rw      1 1
>
> which is exactly what I have been saying is useful.

http://mail-index.netbsd.org/tech-userlevel/2018/10/02/msg011441.html

MvE  >  | In every case the kernel finally selects a root partition to be mounted and
MvE  >  | exactly that partition should be referenced in fstab, what is written there
MvE  >  | will be remounted read-write during the boot process.

RE   >Yes, that is what we need - but without knowing what the drive name is, as
RE   >that can vary.

MvE  But you are not asking for that.

That is me suggesting that the root partition, as selected by the kernel, should
have a symbolic entry in fstab, partition, not disk unit. And you seem to agree.
But since you are supporting the original suggestion, there must be some kind
of misunderstanding.

http://mail-index.netbsd.org/tech-userlevel/2018/10/02/msg011440.html

RE   | >Yes, that is what we need - but without knowing what the drive name is, as
RE   | >that can vary.

MvE  | But you are not asking for that.

RE   It wasn't me doing the asking, but yes, as I understood the proposal,
RE   that is exactly what it was asking  ...

Apparently you were thinking you replied and agreed to the original proposal, but the
part that you were answering to, which is missing here in the quoting, was something else.

I hope this clarifies this and we can stop now.

Greetings,
--
                                Michael van Elst
Internet: mlelstv%serpens.de@localhost