Re: Specifying root device in /etc/fstab

    Date:        Tue, 2 Oct 2018 11:28:59 -0000 (UTC)
    From:        mlelstv%serpens.de@localhost (Michael van Elst)

  | Can you please check, you are misquoting, reversing the sense what I wrote.

This is what Jared said in the original message...

	I came up with this simple patch to getfsspecname that allows ROOT=<part>
	syntax for fs_spec. It uses the value of the kern.root_device sysctl to
	construct a device path, so my fstab can have entries like this:

	   ROOT=a          /               ffs     rw,noatime      1 1
	   ROOT=b          none            swap    sw      0 0
	   ROOT=e          /boot           msdos   rw      1 1

which is exactly what I have been saying is useful.   The "ROOT=" gets replaced
by /dev/$(sysctl -n kern.root_device) which will produce (effectively)

	/dev/sd2a	/	ffs ...
	/dev/sd2b	none	swap...
	/dev/sd2e	/boot	msdos ...

assyming the root has been found on sd2

If you thought that Jared, or I, were suggesting anything different, you
misread somewhere.

kre