Re: Specifying root device in /etc/fstab

kre%munnari.OZ.AU@localhost (Robert Elz) writes:

>The proposed change looks fine to me - I tried to think of any cases
>where it wouldn't work properly, and could not come up with any (provided
>the sysctl is working of course).   My only concern would be the amount
>it adds to libc (in terms of file size) as this is something that would be
>ideal to keep on install media, and space is limited.

My concern is more that it's a disklabel-only-thing caused by the
hack to resize the root filesystem that isn't working with wedges
that are in use (like the mounted root filesystem).

With wedges you would just reference them by name.

N.B. resizing a wedge in use isn't impossible. A device mapper unit
(aka LVM logical volume) is something similar. The functionality
just needs to be implemented in the wedge driver.

                                Michael van Elst
Internet: mlelstv%serpens.de@localhost