Re: Changing disk image boot options without root privileges

Manuel Bouyer wrote:
> How is the image made bootable in an unprivileged build ?

It first builds an image of the root partition, runs installboot
on that, and then constructs the full disk image by
concatenating the initial label area and the root partition
using "cat".  See src/distrib/common/bootimage/Makefile.bootimage.

> The same can probably be used to change the boot option.

I suppose I could split the disk image in two using "dd", run
disklabel on the latter part, and then concatenate the parts.
I'm still hoping there is an easier way that doesn't require
figuring out the root partition offset and then copying multiple
gigabytes of data, twice, just to change a single byte.
--
Andreas Gustafsson, gson%gson.org@localhost