Re: bin/47597: local and $() don't play well with each other

On Tue, Feb 26, 2013 at 09:00:18PM +0100, Steffen Nurpmeso wrote:
> [1]

Thanks for the tip! This one thread in fact tells what this thread has
told: diverging interpretations. So, at least, the standard is unclear
(but my feeling is that the assignment persistence was for the special
builtin "export"---makes some sense...---, extended to all the
other special builtins, and if a shell function, masquerading as an
utility (with parameters etc.), behaves differently from an external
utility, except if it is a POSIX.2 utility meaning that shell
implementations, of wrappers writers will have to treat specifically the
thing this is stupid...).

Not to mention that if one wants to make the assignment persistent:

foo=XXX; f

does the trick so I fail to see a justification for this behavior...