Re: iconv(3) and POSIX

"James K. Lowden" <> writes:

> On Thu, 03 Jan 2013 13:21:17 -0500
> Greg Troxel <> wrote:
>> In /usr/include/iconv.h, the second argument to iconv() is declared
>> const.  However, POSIX says that it isn't:
> Maybe we should suggest git change OLD_CONV to BETTER_ICONV.

Or the less imflammatory, CONST_ICONV.

The difficulty git is having (I think) is that it is compiling a test
program with the POSIX declaration, and that test program fails to
build.  It is likely be that our iconv would be fine with the actual git
code.  So perhaps a different autoconf test is in order.  So I think
this is an example of the same class of problem as "portably pass around
pointers", where strict type matching by the compiler fails.  But I
don't understand how this works with GNU iconv.

Thanks for the replies, and to Christos for adding the explanation to
the man page.