Re: Setlist maintenance

On Wed, Dec 12, 2012 at 07:38:52PM +0000, David Laight wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 12, 2012 at 04:06:57PM +0000, David Holland wrote:
> > On Wed, Dec 12, 2012 at 04:52:08PM +0100, Marc Balmer wrote:
> >  > I totally agree with Thor, for more or less the very same reasons
> >  > (building embedded systems) and I have nothing to add - and thus
> >  > allow me to top post ;)
> >
> > And I agree too, not specifically because of embedded systems but on
> > general principles of soundness. I would like to find a way to make
> > the set lists (and install in general) more streamlined, but like in
> > pkgsrc the crosschecking is important.
>
> Would it make sense to be able to generate the smaller 'sets' from
> a full build.
> So that, for those sets, extra files wouldn't matter.

Actually, for a limited build, you could have some set definitions
for things that might (or might not) be in $DESTDIR without the
build barfing about additional files.
These might be one of the 'normal' sets - eg for NOMAN, or the
full set definition.

That might be an easier way to generate a minimal install (for some
embedded systems) without having to tightly control the build itself.

        David

--
David Laight: david%l8s.co.uk@localhost