Re: Please consider replace src/dist/nvi with nvi2

On Tue, Oct 9, 2012 at 3:28 AM, Alan Barrett <apb%cequrux.com@localhost> wrote:
> On Mon, 08 Oct 2012, Zhihao Yuan wrote:
>>
>> I'm maintaining another multibyte nvi fork, nvi2
>> https://github.com/lichray/nvi2
>

> What version of nvi did you start with?  The oldest commit that I see in
> your git repository is this:
>
> commit 8c964cf4c028c06cc1d3e56ae97a26db924e47a0
> Author: Zhihao Yuan <lichray%gmail.com@localhost>
> Date:   Sun Jun 26 13:15:33 2011 -0500
>
>     merge README
>
> but I can't easily tell what version of nvi it was based on.

nvi-1.79 in FreeBSD's src/contrib/nvi
I failed to find a original nvi repo, so I started my project by
merging files one by one...

> For your next project, it would be a good idea to let your first commit be
> the unmodified sources that you started with, and to let your first change
> go into your second commit.
>

>> 1. UTF-16 editing support.
>> 2. File encoding detection. Detects for UTF-16 (w BOM) and UTF-8, and
>> fallbacks to locale.
>> 3. Multibyte message. No more \x?? with printable wide strings in
>> messages.
>> 4. Enhanced usability on BSDs. openpty(3), flock(2)-only locking, etc.
>> 5. Internal sendmail function. Nvi sends recovery notifications when
>> system start up, but /usr/sbin/sendmail is too slow.
>> 6. Recover files with arbitrary file name -- my version base64 them in the
>> recovery files.
>> 7. Full-featured file name completion. The completion accepts/yields
>> escaped path, like your bash/tcsh.
>

> Most of that sounds useful.
>
> /usr/sbin/sendmail is the traditional way for programs to submit email, and
> it usually works well.  What problem did you have with that, and what is
> your solution in more detail?

As I said in my previous email, I wrote something wrong here. What I
did is to use socket(2) to send recovery mails in nvi's :preserve
command, which used _PATH_SENDMAIL before. virecover still uses
sendmail, +uudecode in my version.

--
Zhihao Yuan, nickname lichray
4BSD -- http://4bsd.biz/