Re: Increasing FreeBSD compatibility in mtree

On Mon, 24 Sep 2012, Brooks Davis wrote:

> I am planning to import NetBSD's mtree into FreeBSD largely for the -C
> and -N.  I plan to follow up with an import of install and integration
> into our installworld process.

Sounds great.  For what it is worth, we have been discussing ideas to
better provide individual software (tools, libraries) as separate source
packages (to make it easier for non-NetBSD developers/users to use
NetBSD code). mtree was part of that list.

> To make that practical I need to keep the new mtree as compatible at
> the script and output level as possible, especially since I've had a
> request to merge the new version to current release branches.  I've
> implemented all the missing features and made some FreeBSD specific
> default changes.  I am hoping the NetBSD community will consider
> accepting many or most of them to increase commonality and decrease
> maintenance work.
>
> I've posted a set of 13 patches from 19 commits to my FreeBSD web space:
>
> http://people.freebsd.org/~brooks/patches/nmtree/

Very nice that you provided them individually.  Having some FreeBSD
specific code I think is fine, as I can understand it would be difficult
to change existing specifications that some depend on for security.

I think if there are no complaints in next week I can start testing and
then applying these individually for you.

> I would like to suggest one further change of renaming NetBSD's -i
> option to something else, making the behavior of -i depend on the
> target OS, and deprecating -i to allow me to essentially do the same
> with FreeBSD's -i option (implemented as -j in
> 05-4space-indent-r240756-r240765.diff).

I may be reading it wrong, but it seems opposite of this. Do you want -i
to be indent or do you want -i to be for setting special file system
flags?

Also do you plan to continue to maintain a custom version for -w? Should
we consider the -w switch (actually the documented "some" is too vague
for me).  (I am not sure I like adding a switch that is documented just
to be ignored for compatibility of other system.)

Thanks again for your patches and some improvements.

  Jeremy C. Reed

echo 'EhZ[h ^jjf0%%h[[Zc[Z_W$d[j%Xeeai%ZW[ced#]dk#f[d]k_d%' | \