Re: Proposal: Add option to add dates to write(1)

On Sun, May 20, 2012 at 07:07:57PM -0400, Matthew Mondor wrote:

> Desktop integration is something I have no experience with though (and
> unfortunately of low importance to me)... however, unless I'm mistaken
> several Linux-based desktop OSs are using dbus for this?  Is this
> considered a bad approach?

If you read some of the Linux mailing lists you'll find that dbus
has big problems.
Enough junk is fed through it that someone wanted to put it into the kernel.
The kernel guys then said - no, that'll use potentially infinite amounts
of kernel memory.
Apparantly it is a bit like trying to implement a reliable multicast
service when some of the readers aren't processing the input stream!

        David

--
David Laight: david%l8s.co.uk@localhost