Re: Proposal: Add option to add dates to write(1)

On Sat, May 19, 2012 at 05:25:51AM -0400, Matthew Mondor wrote:
 > I didn't think of it initially, but the daemon design would also allow
 > sending messages to remote systems as an extension if that was
 > eventually wanted.  Remote hosts would need the daemon to listen on the
 > network as well and be configured with the set of public keys of the
 > allowed sending peers, which is probably similar to what the new
 > syslogd code does.  However, I'm not sure I want to implement this, at
 > least not initially, as I personally don't need this "overkill"
 > feature, (I already use an SSL-enabled IRCd, and we have SSH which
 > could invoke write(1) remotely :)...

There's already a couple of versions of write floating around that do
this, although as they mostly date back to the late 80s/early 90s they
don't have cryptography. (And, if you want cryptography, this is
essentially what zephyr is.)

Anyhow, I think you're not aiming high enough. What we'd like to have
is a general facility for receiving messages that are currently
scribbled into ttys, whether they're from write(1) or something else.
(E.g., messages from talkd, syslogd, the kernel, comsat, dump, lpd,

Note that a Desktop User(TM) may be logged in and able to receive
messages without having any ttys open. So while the path of least
resistance for such a facility might be to add a secondary channel to
ttys, I don't think that's the right approach.

David A. Holland