Re: Proposal: Add option to add dates to write(1)

Hi,

> > Hm, when you are using write, there is text before message:
> >
> > Message from XXXX@XXXXXXX on pts/5 at 17:45 ...
> >
> > Isn't it enough?
>
> That is before the first message until the printed "EOF".
> Note he said using write for months :)
yep, exactly that. When both have their write sessions open for several days,
this gets absolutely chaotic.

> Regarding the patch and previous message: "senddate" and "partner have
> to agree" initially made me think partner was sending the date. Maybe
> call it "showtime". And why does partner have to agree? (Maybe I
> misunderstand code.)
That was indeed badly formulated. The sender determines whether he wants to
prepend dates, the receiver - who is the one who should decide about
that - cannot.
You have to agree with your communication partner such that he uses the
switch to have you reading the date.

Regards, Julian