Re: Filesystem Hierarchy Standard (FHS) and NetBSD

On 05/10/2011 11:58 AM, Thor Lancelot Simon wrote:
Well, perhaps one can't blame "them" for trying *now*.  But do keep in
mind that when this "standard" was propagated, decades of precedent
(Unix has had a hier(7) manual page for that long!) appear to have been
ignored once again with no solicitation of parties outside Linux for
comment -- just the usual "Linux does it this way, let's get a standard
that says everyone should."

Well, I can't speak to past sins. But *my* motivation is certainly not "hey, everyone, endorse every fool thing we've been doing for the past decade!"

If the effort for a general UNIX FHS were seen as useful, we'd be happy to relegate the Linux-isms to the Linux annex, and endorse BSD-isms in *BSD annexes. (Or one BSD annex?)

One constructive thing that could be done would be to adjust the language
of the "standard" to point out that it is informative not normative, that
its scope is strictly limited to Linux systems, and to direct readers to
sources like hier(7) which have documented existing Unix practice for much
longer than the "standard" has existed.

"Informative" vs. "normative" depends on the scope; the Linux world actually considers the FHS normative for itself.

"Strictly limited to Linux" is being thrown around; that's what motivated my posts here and elsewhere. It sounds like it may be the right course of action.

If we don't have a reference to hier(7), that should probably be a bug in the FHS.

Heaven forfend that this "standard" were to be -- for example -- incorporated
by reference into some larger standard to which we _did_ want to conform.
Let's just please avoid that!

If we continue to ride that flight of fancy, which standards might those be?