Re: Filesystem Hierarchy Standard (FHS) and NetBSD

On Tue, 10 May 2011 13:27:19 +0200, Adam Hoka wrote:
On Tue, 10 May 2011 12:36:06 +0200
Julian Fagir <gnrp%komkon2.de@localhost> wrote:
> > Given that it describes a particular file hierarchy conventionally > > used only by Linux systems from major Linux distributors, how would
> > you expect that to be the case?
>
>  From the opening paragraph of the standard:
>
> "This standard consists of a set of requirements and guidelines for file
> and directory placement under UNIX-like operating systems. The
> guidelines are intended to support interoperability of applications, > system administration tools, development tools, and scripts as well as
> greater uniformity of documentation for these systems."
>
> My goal is to determine if this is actually true, or if it is only
> relevant to Linux, as you suggest. I don't want to exclude you (and the
> other BSD systems, and the other UNIXes) without making sure.
far from being away a *BSD- or Linux-developer, my opinion:
I don't think you can reach this uniformity without having only a very small
standard.

Adding BSDs to the FHS would need various modifications which just do not
apply to Linux-systems. Just, for example:
* /var/db is rarely used on Linuxes, on BSDs the packaging informations are
   stored there, /var/lib is rather used on Linux.
* /boot is not the place to store boot-files, the configuration and kernels
   on NetBSD lie partially in /.

But we could use that as the current place for these files are just keeping
the status quo.

I am having a hard time parsing this sentence; do you mean that boot level data (kernel(s) + optional conf files) should move to a default directory, like /boot?

Therefore, I think, making the FHS a standard for all Unixes is not possible
nor wanted.

We can't really blame them for trying. While strict adherence to the (L)FHS is unlikely for all kinds of Linux distros and Unix derivatives, I still think we should be part of the process. Not to push FHS everywhere in NetBSD, but just to know what is happening on the other side world, or even push solutions in case we already took a decision regarding where goes what in hier(7).

--
Jean-Yves Migeon
jym%NetBSD.org@localhost