Re: Updating syslog(3), syslogd(8) to support RFC-5424

On Fri, Mar 18, 2011 at 07:43:51PM +0000, David Laight wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 18, 2011 at 08:19:19AM -0400, der Mouse wrote:
> >
> > Personally, I think message bodies should be encoding-agnostic octet
> > strings, not character strings at all as far as syslog(3) and syslog(8)
> > are concerned; I'd just remove the "c &= 0177".
>
> I presume something else stop control characters and escape sequences
> being sent to the console (and other terminals).

And what do you do about NUL?  If we're talking about real (not Modified)
UTF-8, now we're going to have 0x0 in the syslog output, which will probably
break all kinds of assumptions on the part of things that currently try
to parse it.

Not cool.

Thor