Re: CMSG_SPACE: too clever by half?

On Thu, Feb 24, 2011 at 06:02:50PM +0100, Joerg Sonnenberger wrote:
> I think the correct approach would be to have a second macro which gives
> an upper bound on the required space. It doesn't have to be very tight,
> but it has to be ICE.

Unfortunately, code written to a naive (wrong, but understandable!)
interpretation of the standard, though, will not benefit from this.

I think we "should" increase the alignment and make it constant again.
The backwards-compatibility hair would not be too hairy, really, because
the "dynamic" sizing could just return the same size as the static one,
if ever called.

  Thor Lancelot Simon

  "We cannot usually in social life pursue a single value or a single moral
   aim, untroubled by the need to compromise with others."      - H.L.A. Hart