Re: Importing tmux into base

On Tue, Feb 08, 2011 at 09:22:04AM +0000, Julio Merino wrote:
> Hello,
>
> tmux [1] is a GNU screen replacement.  It is BSD-licensed, much easier
> to configure, follows a client/server model (which allows e.g. moving
> windows across sessions), and has faster scrolling when using vertical
> windows.  These are just to name a few features I have experienced
> myself.  Also, the author is very responsible to any emails sent to
> the tmux mailing list which would help in fixing any issues we might
> experience.
>
> tmux is in the base system of FreeBSD and OpenBSD, and such a utility
> (well, GNU screen) is in the common toolkit of any administrator.  I
> personally find myself installing tmux (or screen) as the very first
> package on any new system, and I am sure I am not alone.
>
> [...]
>
> What do people think about importing tmux into base?

Alright.  We discussed the issue for long and there were quite a few
people in favor of the import and some other people against.  I had
to loop core@ in to make a decision -- otherwise 1) the discussion
would have died and no one would have noticed, or 2) I would have
imported tmux and the people against it would have brought the topic
to core@ anyway.

core@'s decision: import tmux and remove window.

The current plan looks like this:

- Add window to pkgsrc.  (My current idea is to move the code to
  othersrc, generate a distfile out of it, put the distfile in nbftp
  and add a package to pkgsrc.)
- Import tmux into src/external/bsd/tmux.
- Mark window as "to be removed" (note in the manpage and release
  notes).
- Remove window after branching netbsd-6.

Expect the first steps to happen after March 7th as I'll be AFK next
week.

Thanks to everyone involved and, in particular, to core@ for spending
the time to discuss this.

--