Re: Importing tmux into base

* On 2011-02-11 at 23:18 GMT, Thor Lancelot Simon wrote:

> On Fri, Feb 11, 2011 at 10:54:14PM +0000, Jonathan Perkin wrote:
> > * On 2011-02-11 at 22:31 GMT, Simon Burge wrote:

> > > Another (no longer existing!) NetBSD company did exactly this as well.
> > > There is some short-term pain in converting larger pieces of software
> > > (php5 comes to mind) and one learns to appreciate the NetBSD build
> > > system even more. :)
> >
> > This is exactly the direction I'd prefer to see the base system go in, a
> > mini-pkgsrc type setup to do just the fetch/distcheck/patch bits, then we
> > only need to import a few makefiles to add new software.
>
> I don't think your "this" is very much like my "this" or Simon's "this".
>
> My system build is not anything like that at all, nor is the process of
> integrating software into my source tree.  Sure, I have some automation
> to help me update external software, but it is not -- and can not be --
> at all like pkgsrc where one is _wrapping_ the package's native Makefiles.

No, I didn't mean this - I meant what you said, 'converting other stuff to
use BSD Makefiles'.  The 'mini-pkgsrc' thing which you've mis-interpreted
is to avoid having to import the entire source code for all these third
party utilities into CVS (which has been an issue for the minimalists in
the past).  It is only used to fetch the distfiles, ensure they are
correct, then apply any patches we would normally have applied directly to
CVS to fix various things in the package.

Perhaps I shouldn't have used the word pkgsrc at all, as obviously it
comes with a lot of negative connotations.

My point is, two companies have separately designed pretty much what I
want to see in base, thus I think it'd be great if we could get it
integrated.

--
Jonathan Perkin                                     The NetBSD Project
http://www.perkin.org.uk/                       http://www.netbsd.org/