Re: Importing tmux into base

* On 2011-02-11 at 22:31 GMT, Simon Burge wrote:

> Thor Lancelot Simon wrote:
>
> > I think my company is not unusual among companies (past and present)
> > doing embedded stuff with NetBSD in that the approach we've taken:
> > minimize the set of external stuff used, try to feed back anything
> > small and seemingly generally useful (liblzf, ee) into base NetBSD,
> > and just accept the burden of converting other stuff to use BSD
> > Makefiles and maintaining it in a private tree.
>
> Another (no longer existing!) NetBSD company did exactly this as well.
> There is some short-term pain in converting larger pieces of software
> (php5 comes to mind) and one learns to appreciate the NetBSD build
> system even more. :)

This is exactly the direction I'd prefer to see the base system go in, a
mini-pkgsrc type setup to do just the fetch/distcheck/patch bits, then we
only need to import a few makefiles to add new software.

Support this with a decent way to control which extras get built, along
with perhaps some optional install images/sets depending upon your
preferences, and I think that these constant minimalist vs completist
discussions whenever something new is proposed will mostly go away.

--
Jonathan Perkin                                     The NetBSD Project
http://www.perkin.org.uk/                       http://www.netbsd.org/